In this interview, we chat with tennis strategy coach and founder of Fuzzy Yellow Balls, Will Hamilton. Will has worked with some of the top players in the game including the Bryan Brothers and Martina Navratilova.
In Will’s Doubles Playbook, he applies some of these pro-level strategies to club-level players.
Although we don’t all have massive serves and groundstrokes, we can all apply general principles to improve our game.
In this conversation, we cover 3 plays from the playbook.
- Serve & volley play that leaves the opponent nowhere to go.
- An easy play to “upgrade” your serve +1 or return +1 stroke.
- Return play that immediately gets the serve team on defense.
We talk about how Will got into tennis, how he started Fuzzy Yellow Balls, and, of course, how to make doubles more popular. This episode is a must for doubles players looking to add proven, effective plays to their arsenal.
Show Notes from this Podcast
*To help support The Tennis Tribe & provide more free content like this, we may earn a percentage of purchases through the links below. See our affiliate page for more info.
- Watch his video with Martina Navratilova & check out Will’s Doubles Playbook here
- Follow Will on YouTube and Facebook
- 3 Doubles Plays
- “The Prague-Nosticator” is a strategy used by Martina Navratilova to force a high ball in doubles with a short, “Newt” volley.
- “The Upgrade” is a play involving running around your backhand in doubles to hit a better approach/poach shot.
- “The Parachute” is a kind of low lob used to neutralize opponents who are poaching often.
- Will’s Favorites
- Other People Mentioned