In this interview, we chat with tennis media personality, Blair Henley. If you can think of it, post-match interviews, player introductions, trivia, writing, etc…, Blair does it.
Blair has interviewed Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Serena Williams, and more. She’s also been featured by Tennis Magazine, ESPN, WTA, and dozens of other outlets.
This was a special episode, as I was joined by fellow Tennis Tribe writer Hanlon Walsh who wrote a Tennis Media Roundtable article that included Blair in 2020. You’ll gather some insights into what it takes to get into the tennis media business, what’s it’s like to interview top players, and what a day is like for Blair.
We talk about the Dallas Open, Blair’s tennis story, and, of course, how to make doubles more popular. In addition to many more ideas, Blair had several interesting thoughts on doubles:
- She believes that, contrary to some opinions, a lot of people really enjoy watching doubles.
- It is a lot like women’s sports in that it doesn’t get the platform it needs to prove its worth (great analogy here).
- And, doubles players should focus on their personal brands more.
25 Winning Doubles Tactics Guaranteed to Help You Play Smarter
Ebook with 25 expert serve (7), return (5), net-play (5), baseline (4), & approach (4) tactics you can use in your next doubles match.
Show Notes from this Podcast
*To help support The Tennis Tribe & provide more free content like this, we may earn a percentage of purchases through the links below. See our affiliate page for more info.
- Follow Blair on Twitter and Instagram
- For more information about Blair, check out her website https://www.blairhenley.com/
- Blair has been around tennis her whole life
- Growing up, her dad was a tennis pro, so she spent a lot of time watching and playing before going to Rice University to play.
- After college, she taught some and helped develop a club before eventually writing for a tennis website.
- She would eventually land a job with Tennis Now before finding her current role.
- Blair has interviewed several players, but a few stick out
- Blair’s Favorites
- ’22 Tennis Wish: Roger Federer is able to come back healthy and end his career on his own terms.
- Under The Radar Tournament: Hall of Fame Open
- Dream Mixed Doubles Team: Juan Martin Del Potro and Gabriela Sabatini
- Other People Mentioned