When should you hit down-the-line in doubles?
One of the biggest mistakes club-level players make is going for too much or hitting too often down-the-line. An important part of any player’s strategy is shot selection, and that includes when to use the down-the-line shot.
During this episode, we’ll focus on 1-up 1-back scenarios returning from the deuce and ad courts, as well as some tips on when to hit down-the-line during a rally.
A few of the questions answered include:
- Where should I aim when I hit down the line?
- What is the best time to return down the line?
- Is the down-the-line lob a good tactic?
- How often should I hit down the line?
Ultimately, it’s important to weigh your own and your partners’ strengths and weaknesses and make strategic decisions based on how the opponents are playing. After listening, you’ll better understand when to hit down-the-line so you stop giving away free points and start forcing more errors.
25 Winning Doubles Tactics Guaranteed to Help You Play Smarter
Ebook with 25 expert serve (7), return (5), net-play (5), baseline (4), & approach (4) tactics you can use in your next doubles match.
Show Notes from this Podcast
Here are some of the things I mention in this podcast episode:
- When to hit down-the-line in the deuce court
- On returns, aim towards the singles line to attack their backhand volley and then look to attack the next ball.
- Try to attack second serves that are out wide, but mix it up and consider how good the server and net player are as well as what you prefer.
- When to hit down-the-line in the ad court
- Focus on second serves you can either run around or hit your strength to avoid hitting a weak ball to their forehand volley.
- Make sure you are taking time away from them and abuse the cross return if they are giving it to you.
- When to hit down-the-line during a rally
- Look for short forehands to use the shot as a setup on the deuce side with a lot of spin and margin for error.
- On the ad side, go for more and consider lobbing or hitting flatter depending on where your opponent is standing.
- When to Hit Down-the-Line in Doubles (Deuce Court) (YouTube)
- When to Hit Down-the-Line in Doubles (Ad Court) (YouTube)
- Podcast Episode:Will Hamilton Interview