When is the best time to use the lob in doubles? Is it more important to lob the ball high in the air, or lower and deep in the court? When should I use the lob return?
In this episode, I answer all those questions and more about lobbing in doubles. Learn the difference between a defensive and offensive lob, the best times to lob the return from the deuce and ad side, and more!
25 Winning Doubles Tactics Guaranteed to Help You Play Smarter
Ebook with 25 expert serve (7), return (5), net-play (5), baseline (4), & approach (4) tactics you can use in your next doubles match.
Show Notes from this Podcast
- Episode 13: How to Beat the Lob or Pusher
- Why lob?
- To buy yourself time.
- The opponent is crowding the net.
- Lob higher with the wind or on defense.
- Use the lob return against an aggressive net player or serve & volleyer.
- Lob crosscourt for defensive lobs & down the line for an offensive lob.
- Questions to consider:
- How close are the opponents to the net?
- Which opponent is shorter?
- Where is the sun?
- Where are the opponent’s backhands? Lobbing over the backhand shoulder is best.
- Which direction is the wind blowing?