This is an interview with WTA top 20 doubles player, Ellen Perez, in Fort Worth during the WTA Finals.
We watched the end of a round-robin match with Ellen, so you’ll get the chance to listen to her break down the game and how she handles different aspects of playing doubles and singles on tour.
In this conversation we talk about:
- Her experience at the WTA Finals and her plans for 2023.
- How she manages to play singles and doubles.
- What she thinks went well during her 2022 season – especially the fall swing where she & Nicole Melichar-Martinez were one of the top teams on tour.
You will also hear how Ellen got into tennis and how she thinks we can make doubles more popular.
Hold Your Serve Easier Than Ever!
Comprehensive 55-page guide to serve strategy for doubles players
Interview Notes from this Podcast
- Follow Ellen: Twitter | Instagram
- Listen to our conversation with Ellen & Nicole from Toronto
- Gaby Dabrowski / Giuliana Olmos vs. Lyudmyla Kichenok / Jelena Ostapenko
- While watching this match during the WTA Finals, Ellen discusses topics such as when to go with your strength or your opponent’s weakness and how to support your partner when they are struggling.
- What helped you and Nicole play so well in the Fall?
- Playing a lot of matches helped them fix kinks and getting wins over good teams gave them the confidence to ride the momentum.
- What are your plans for 2023?
- She plans to play with Nicole again and hopes to play more singles later in the year if they can start the year well in doubles.
- How do you balance doubles and singles?
- She feels like she neglects singles sometimes when she is playing well in doubles and can’t find a rhythm when she is dropping out of tournaments early.
- Her bigger playing style and versatility help her in both doubles and singles.
- Her preparation used to be singles-focused and she would switch to doubles when she lost in the singles bracket before switching back to singles to prepare for the next week. Recently, she has focused more on doubles but plans to start more singles soon.
- She really enjoys playing points in practice to help her get a rhythm and stay sharp.
- Favorite Tournament?
- Previous Podcasts With Her Partner Nicole Melichar-Martinez