This is an interview with ATP tennis coach, Rob Morgan. Rob has coached tennis for over two decades and currently coaches world #1 doubles player Wesley Koolhof, who just won Wimbledon alongside Neal Skupski.
I ask Rob about his role on their team and what it took to win Wimbledon. Wesley and Neal have been the best team in the world for over a year but hadn’t won a Grand Slam until last week. You’ll find out what they improved this year to get over the hump and win their first major title.
We also discuss:
- The one thing Rob has all his players do when he first starts coaching them (something he says he’s never shared)
- How to beat a team that lobs or pushes for club-level players
- The most neglected shot for club doubles players
- 3 questions you should ask a new doubles partner
Rob seems to prioritize communication in doubles, and I didn’t realize how deep communication could go on and off the court until this conversation. We discuss the ways doubles partners can better understand and help each other out before, during, and after matches. This episode provides a great window into coaching at the top level of our sport but also provides useful info that can help your doubles game.
25 Winning Doubles Tactics Guaranteed to Help You Play Smarter
Ebook with 25 expert serve (7), return (5), net-play (5), baseline (4), & approach (4) tactics you can use in your next doubles match.
Interview Notes from this Podcast
*To help support The Tennis Tribe & provide more free content like this, we may earn a percentage of purchases through the links below. See our affiliate page for more info.
- Follow Rob: Twitter | Instagram
- Rob currently coaches Wesley Koolhof
- Rob founded M2 Performance Tennis Academy with his brother George in 2022
- Rob also coached Heather Watson, Joe Salisbury, & other WTA/ATP players
*Video of the volley drill discussed at time marker 44:31 in the podcast episode: