Rick Leach is one of the top doubles players of all time. He won five majors in men’s doubles and four in mixed. Rick also just coached the Orange County Breakers to the 2021 World Team Tennis title.
In this conversation, Rick and I discuss:
- What he’s seen change in tennis since he played on tour, including how string technology has transformed the type of ball that is hit.
- He makes a prediction about a breakout player for the 2021 WTA season.
- I also ask him about coaching, lineup, and substitution strategy for World Team Tennis.
After that, Rick shares his favorite doubles strategies and tactics that he used as a player and still coaches today. He tells us his favorite tennis books and a great story about his dad playing a tennis match that was in the Guinness Book of World Records. The final question I asked Rick is how to make doubles more popular. He has some great thoughts on that as well.
Ebook: 25 Winning Doubles Tactics Guaranteed to Help You Play Smarter
25 expert serve (7), return (5), net-play (5), baseline (4), & approach (4) tactics you can use in your next doubles match.
Show Notes from this Podcast
*To help support The Tennis Tribe & provide more free content like this, we may earn a percentage of purchases through the links below. See our affiliate page for more info.
- Won the 2021 World Team Tennis Title with the Orange County Breakers
- His roster included: Amanda Anisimova, Steve Johnson, Austin Krajicek, Desirae Krawczyk, and Tatjana Maria
- Currently, Rick coaches at Newport Beach Tennis Club
- His dad, Dick Leach, coached at USC for over 20 years
- Rick’s nickname in college was “spangle” for spin angle
- He won his last grand slam with Ellis Ferreira at the 2000 Australian Open
- Rick’s Favorites
- Tournament: Playing in Wimbledon. He had his most success at the Australian Open.
- Tennis book: Bud Collins’ Encyclopedia of Tennis, Budge on Tennis
- Non-tennis book: Clive Cussler books
Leave a Reply