This is an interview with Philip Farmer who has coached on the ATP & WTA tours for over two decades.
Phil has one of the smartest doubles minds in the world and has coached four different players to a world #1 doubles ranking including the Bryan Brothers, Corina Morariu, and most recently, Austin Krajicek, who I interviewed last week. He’s also coached a number of singles players including Sam Querrey and John Isner.
However, in this episode, we focus heavily on how a club-level player can improve because Phil also works with adult club players near his home in Dallas, Texas.
- How Phil prepared Austin & Ivan Dodig during their 2023 Roland Garros title run
- What Phil has helped Austin improve over the last few years that lead him to ATP #1 in doubles
- How a club-level player can add the lob return to their game (even if you only have 4-6 hours per week of court time)
- The best time to poach or use serve formations during a match (especially if you’re new to both)
We also discuss how pro doubles has changed since Phil coached the Bryan Brothers from ’03-’05 from more traditional formation and deep volleys to I-formation, lobs, and angles.
25 Winning Doubles Tactics Guaranteed to Help You Play Smarter
Ebook with 25 expert serve (7), return (5), net-play (5), baseline (4), & approach (4) tactics you can use in your next doubles match.
Interview Notes from this Podcast
*To help support The Tennis Tribe & provide more free content like this, we may earn a percentage of purchases through the links below. See our affiliate page for more info.
- Follow Philip: Twitter | Instagram | ATP Profile
- I first met Phil at World Team Tennis in 2021
- He lives north of Dallas in Frisco, Texas, and coaches at Lakes Tennis Academy when he’s not on the road
- Listen to the Austin Krajicek Interview from last week
- Philip has coached Bob & Mike Bryan, Corina Morariu, Sam Querrey
- Austin and his partner, Ivan Dodig won the French Open in 2023 after making the finals in 2022 where they had multiple championship points
- Phil’s Favorites
- Tennis Book: Winning Ugly by Brad Gilbert
- Non-Tennis Book: The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom by Don Miguel Ruiz
- He was featured in Mental Toughness 101 by Greg Levine
- Tournament: French Open
- Philip also celebrated the Roland Garros title with his wife, Nataliya, and their son, Finn