This is an interview with Top-50 doubles players Nate Lammons and Jackson Withrow. I got to sit down with them after their semifinal win at the Dallas Open to talk doubles.
This is a brief, but really fun interview, that will give you insights into how top doubles teams think. Nate and Jackson have been one of the top teams so far in 2023, making two finals already, after a very strong fall last season. I could tell their team chemistry is off the charts.
Nate and Jackson share:
- Their post-match routine and specifically what they did after their semifinal win.
- How they communicate during a match and make adjustments.
- What has helped them improve and become a top doubles team worldwide.
You will also hear how they view their games, how confidence has helped them, and how they think we can make doubles more popular.
25 Winning Doubles Tactics Guaranteed to Help You Play Smarter
Ebook with 25 expert serve (7), return (5), net-play (5), baseline (4), & approach (4) tactics you can use in your next doubles match.
Interview Notes from this Podcast
*To help support The Tennis Tribe & provide more free content like this, we may earn a percentage of purchases through the links below. See our affiliate page for more info.
- Follow Nate: Instagram
- Follow Jackson: Twitter | Instagram
- How was the Dallas Open?
- Jackson and Nate were both happy to be back around where they played college tennis and felt like the tournament improved from the year before.
- Related Podcast: Peter Lebedevs Interview
- What is your post-match routine?
- They like to decompress, then watch film from the match they played, and then their next opponents if applicable.
- They focus on execution, communication, and accountability during their study.
- At the Dallas Open, they felt like they had a lot of small chances and tiebreakers, which happens on indoor courts.
- What has contributed to your good runs recently?
- Focusing on communication, confidence, adjusting to different surfaces, embracing trips, having a good attitude, and embracing big moments have helped them raise their floor and play well.
- What are things you have gotten better at and things you want to?
- A couple of years ago, they were having more miscommunication, found themselves in awkward positions on the court, poor shot placement, not recognizing switches, and too much defense held them back.
- In the future, they would like to improve their returns, add more variety, make other teams more uncomfortable, and trust each other and their shot placement more.
- What makes the other person a good partner?
- Nate thinks that Jackson’s ability to serve well, his great eye for the court and stroke fixes, and his ability to give feedback make him a great player.
- Jackson thinks that Nate’s ability to serve well, handle the mental side of the game, and be smart/receptive on and off the court make him a great player.