Below is an interview with Gaby Dabrowski.
Gaby is a two-time mixed doubles grand slam champion (Australian Open ’18 & French Open ’17), Wimbledon finalist in 2019, and current world #7 ranked WTA doubles player. She was also an Olympic athlete in the 2016 Rio Games for Canada.
Before you scroll down and listen to the interview, fill out this 30-second survey to help support pro doubles!
In this conversation, we talk about:
- 1:32 – Gaby’s recent tweet that went viral about doubles on the pro tour – reaction to Marion Bartoli’s comments.
- 3:54 – The pro tour “vibe” on singles vs doubles. How doubles players get less respect. It’s a lot more than just money.
- 8:19 – How it feels to be primarily a doubles player on tour.
- 9:59 – Why top singles players sometimes play doubles & the big issue this creates in tournaments.
- 12:58 – What the players plan to do to help get more exposure for doubles.
- 16:10 – Her 2020 so far, including her results and how she’s handled the stop in play.
- 20:08 – How she got started in tennis, her path to becoming one of the world’s best doubles players, & why she decided to focus on doubles.
- 28:15 – How pro players choose a doubles partner & how her game matches up well with different styles.
- 31:21 – How men’s doubles is different than women’s doubles.
- 33:11 – How Gaby gameplans for a match & makes in-match adjustments. Lots of doubles strategy here!
- 41:47 – What fans can do to help support pro doubles.
- 47:33 – Gaby’s favorite book, pro tournament, & a tennis story she’s never told anyone.
- and a lot more…
The Interview with Gaby Dabrowski
Here is the 50+ minute conversation with Gaby.
To help support The Tennis Tribe & provide more free content like this, we earn a percentage of any purchases through the links below. See our affiliate page for more info.
Below are links to things mentioned during our conversation.
- Doubles fans can fill out this survey to support Gaby & help get more exposure for pro doubles.
- Her twitter thread about doubles on tour.
- Saddlebrook Tennis Academy – where Gaby trained growing up.
- Favorite “Tennis” Book: Thinking Body, Dancing Mind by Chungliang Al Huang*
- Favorite Grand Slam Tournament: The Australian Open
- Favorite Non-Grand Slam Tournament: A tournament in Bastad, Sweden