This is an interview with WTA doubles player, Demi Schuurs. Demi has a career-high ranking of #7 in the world, including 17 doubles titles on tour.
Demi is also a top returner and net player, making her one of my favorite players to watch. She has a very old-school doubles game, constantly moving forward and taking away time from her opponents.
In this conversation, we discuss her story – she grew up in the Netherlands, how to play with different doubles partners, including her current one, Desirae Krawczyk, and strategy.
- Demi’s approach to the return & volley (she’s one of the best at this tactic).
- Different tactics for returning against I-formation.
- How to develop quick reactions & volleys at the net, including several drills she recommends.
- Why she sometimes stands way out wide, behind the doubles alley, to serve.
Demi also shares some potential plans and goals for after her pro tennis career. This is a fun interview because you get a little bit of everything from Demi including personal stories, life as a pro doubles player, and tactics & strategy.
25 Winning Doubles Tactics Guaranteed to Help You Play Smarter
Ebook with 25 expert serve (7), return (5), net-play (5), baseline (4), & approach (4) tactics you can use in your next doubles match.
Interview Notes from this Podcast
*To help support The Tennis Tribe & provide more free content like this, we may earn a percentage of purchases through the links below. See our affiliate page for more info.
- Follow Demi: Instagram
- Visit Demi’s website
- Demi currently plays with Desirae Krawczyk
- Watch on Instagram: Videos of Demi using the return & volley – Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3
- She practiced volleys with her father as a kid. They called the volley drill “The Woodies” after the famous doubles pairing Todd Woodbridge & Mark Woodforde.