The #1 doubles team in the world for the past few years have undoubtedly been the Czech team of Barbora Krejcikova and Katerina Siniakova. Hanlon and I got to sit down with them after their semifinals win at the WTA Finals to talk about doubles.
This is a brief, but really fun interview, that will give you insights into how the WTA’s best doubles work together to dominate the tour. I could tell their team chemistry is off the charts.
In this conversation we talk about:
- What it’s taken to get where they are and how they think about improvement.
- What they think of each other’s games in terms of strengths and weaknesses.
- How they would like to improve in the future, even though they’re already #1.
You will also hear how they view their legacy, how they make adjustments when playing with different partners, and how they think we can make doubles more popular.
25 Winning Doubles Tactics Guaranteed to Help You Play Smarter
Ebook with 25 expert serve (7), return (5), net-play (5), baseline (4), & approach (4) tactics you can use in your next doubles match.
Interview Notes from this Podcast
*To help support The Tennis Tribe & provide more free content like this, we may earn a percentage of purchases through the links below. See our affiliate page for more info.
- See their accomplishments in our 2022 WTA Finals Doubles Preview
- Follow Katerina: Twitter | Instagram
- Follow Barbora: Twitter | Instagram
- What have they improved on from last year?
- They’re constantly working to improve just a little bit throughout the year.
- They’re also proud that they were able to have a good season while both dealing with injuries.
- How does Katerina adjust her doubles play when she isn’t playing with Barbora?
- She tries not to adjust anything and just plays her best while helping the other player.
- What is Katerina’s biggest strength according to Barbora?
- She is fast and not afraid at the net, while having a good backhand from the baseline, and plays with passion.
- What is Barbora’s biggest strength according to Katerina?
- She has a great forehand from the baseline that allows Katerina to work well at the net.
- What’s something they would like to be better at one year from now as a team?
- They would like to improve their net game and work on individual weaknesses to help the team.
- How do they sense their doubles legacy?
- They don’t think much about it and focus more on the present, not settling for what they have already achieved.
- How can we make doubles more popular?
- Better marketing and advertising that doubles is fun and different from singles could help draw more viewers in.