The #1 doubles team in the world for the past few years have undoubtedly been the Czech team of Barbora Krejcikova and Katerina Siniakova. Hanlon and I got to sit down with them after their semifinals win at the WTA Finals to talk about doubles.
This is a brief, but really fun interview, that will give you insights into how the WTA’s best doubles work together to dominate the tour. I could tell their team chemistry is off the charts.
In this conversation we talk about:
- What it’s taken to get where they are and how they think about improvement.
- What they think of each other’s games in terms of strengths and weaknesses.
- How they would like to improve in the future, even though they’re already #1.
You will also hear how they view their legacy, how they make adjustments when playing with different partners, and how they think we can make doubles more popular.
Ebook: 25 Winning Doubles Tactics Guaranteed to Help You Play Smarter
25 expert serve (7), return (5), net-play (5), baseline (4), & approach (4) tactics you can use in your next doubles match.
Interview Notes from this Podcast
*To help support The Tennis Tribe & provide more free content like this, we may earn a percentage of purchases through the links below. See our affiliate page for more info.
- See their accomplishments in our 2022 WTA Finals Doubles Preview
- Follow Katerina: Twitter | Instagram
- Follow Barbora: Twitter | Instagram
- What have they improved on from last year?
- They’re constantly working to improve just a little bit throughout the year.
- They’re also proud that they were able to have a good season while both dealing with injuries.
- How does Katerina adjust her doubles play when she isn’t playing with Barbora?
- She tries not to adjust anything and just plays her best while helping the other player.
- What is Katerina’s biggest strength according to Barbora?
- She is fast and not afraid at the net, while having a good backhand from the baseline, and plays with passion.
- What is Barbora’s biggest strength according to Katerina?
- She has a great forehand from the baseline that allows Katerina to work well at the net.
- What’s something they would like to be better at one year from now as a team?
- They would like to improve their net game and work on individual weaknesses to help the team.
- How do they sense their doubles legacy?
- They don’t think much about it and focus more on the present, not settling for what they have already achieved.
- How can we make doubles more popular?
- Better marketing and advertising that doubles is fun and different from singles could help draw more viewers in.
Nice scoop to interview these 2 brilliant players.
Will Boucek says
Thanks Guy! They’re as fun to chat with as they are to watch play tennis 🙂