This is an interview with Nick Monroe, a recently retired ATP doubles player, and three-time podcast guest, to discuss the new All American Cup.
What is the All American Cup? It’s a team tennis tournament featuring the best American male players, led by captains Bob & Mike Bryan.
Nick had the idea for the tournament, which will be hosted in San Antonio, during the middle of COVID when players were trying to find ways to compete.
The tournament will start on November 10 with several events and culminate on the 13th with a Laver Cup-style format.
In this conversation Nick & I talk about:
- The vision behind the All American Cup.
- What Nick has done since retiring from tennis.
- The importance of doubles and the popularity of team-format tennis.
- The growth of pro tennis in Texas.
This 55-page Ebook includes EVERYTHING you need to know
Serve Tactics Guaranteed to Make Holding Serve Easy
Learn to hide your weaknesses, force return errors, and create game plans with your doubles partner to hold serve more often.
Interview Notes from this Podcast
- Check out the All American Cup website.
- If you can’t make it, watch on Tennis Channel.
- Previous episodes with Nick:
- Tournament Format
- The tournament will feature an East and West team, captained by Bob and Mike Bryan, respectively.
- The East team features Frances Tiafoe, John Isner, Jack Sock, Denis Kudla, and J.J. Wolf.
- The West Team features Taylor Fritz, Marcos Giron, Jenson Brooksby, Mackenzie McDonald, and Steve Johnson.
- It will be a three-day event with matches worth one point on the first day, two on the second, and four on the third.
- Top Doubles Players Involved
- Besides Jack Sock, a highly-decorated doubles player, Nick shared his opinion on the best doubles player on each team.
- He thinks Isner is the best on the East team and Fritz on the West.
- All American Cup Events
- Aside from the main event, the tournament will host a pro-am event, a kids clinic, a player party, and more.
- To learn more, visit their website.