When you make a purchase through our links below, we may earn money from our affiliate partners to help support the site. Learn more here.
Qatar is a country in the Middle East that is proud to host the Qatar Total Open (WTA) and the Qatar ExxonMobil Open (ATP) tennis tournaments each year.
Taking a trip there to see these popular tennis tournaments is an excellent idea if you have never been to this part of the world before, as it is an exotic and beautiful country.
Here is the ultimate guide for tennis fans on everything you need to know about the Qatar Open tennis tournament, also referred to as Doha (the name of the host city).
About the Qatar Open Tennis Tournament
The Qatar Open is a tennis tournament that has been in existence since 1993 for the men’s ATP World Tour 250 series and the women’s WTA Tier-1 tournament since 2001. As of 2021, it is a WTA 500 tournament for the women’s tour.
- The women’s WTA is sponsored by Total, referred to as the Qatar Total Open.
- The men’s ATP is sponsored by ExxonMobil, referred to as the Qatar ExxonMobil Open.
This guide has information on both the men’s and women’s Qatar Open tournaments.
Where is the Qatar Open?
The tournament is located in the city of Doha, Qatar at the Khalifa International Tennis and Squash Complex.
When is the Qatar Open Tennis Tournament?
The Qatar Open is usually held each year in January for the men and February for the women. The dates for 2021 were shifted forward due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The women’s WTA tournament is usually in February, one to two weeks after the Australian Open.
- This year, however, the AO was scheduled a little later than normal due to COVID-19, and so the women’s WTA tournament was pushed into March.
- The 2021 women’s WTA tournament was held March 1-6, 2021.
- The 2021 men’s ATP tournament was held March 8-13, 2021.
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the stadium limited attendance to 10% of the normal capacity.
Who are the Current Qatar Open Champions?
The current champions of the Qatar Open for 2021 are the following players:
- Women’s singles: Petra Kvitová (Czech Republic)
- Women’s doubles: Nicole Melichar (USA) and Demi Schuurs (Netherlands)
- Men’s singles: Nikoloz Basilashvili (Georgia)
- Men’s doubles: Andrey Rublev and Aslan Karatsev (Russia)
What Court Surface is the Qatar Open Played on?
The court surface at the Khalifa International Tennis and Squash Complex is a hard outdoor surface.
Qatar Open Prize Money & Ranking Points
The prize money for the 2021 Qatar Total Open for the women’s WTA was $565,530 USD, which was a 33.5% drop from 2020.
- The singles winner received $68,570 (down from $605,000 in 2020), while the runner-up got $51,000 (down from $304,005 in 2020).
- For doubles, the winning team received $25,230 (down from $172,000 in 2020), while the runner-ups got $17,750 (down from $87,000 in 2020).
The prize money for the 2021 Qatar ExxonMobil Open on the men’s side was $1 million dollars USD, which was a 20.71% drop from 2020.
- The singles winner received $103,070 (down from $227,930 in 2020), while the runner-up got $73,885 (down from $126,160 in 2020).
- The doubles winners received $38,470 (down from $76,870 in 2020) and the runner-ups got $27,550 (down from $39,400 in 2020).
Here are the ranking points from the 2021 Qatar Open.
|WTA Women’s Singles & Doubles||ATP Men’s Singles & Doubles|
|Rd. of 16||55 singles | 1 doubles||20 singles | 0 doubles|
How to Get Tickets to the Qatar Open Tournament
The best way to get tickets to the Qatar Open is through their official website. The Khalifa International Tennis and Squash Complex has a main stadium with a capacity of 7,000 people.
There are 24 total courts at the complex. You can buy seats in the corporate box sections, the upper, middle, and lower sections close to all the action.
Where to Stay in Doha for the Qatar Open
Doha is a modern and lovely city with many modern hotel options. You won’t have trouble finding a great room to stay in during the tennis tournament.
High-End Hotel Options
For high-end options around a mile and a half away from the venue, consider:
Both are five-star choices with great amenities. The Sheraton is even located on its own private beach.
Budget-Friendly Hotel Options
For budget-friendly options, consider:
Both of these are one mile away from the tennis complex.
Airbnb is also an option in Doha. There are many high-rise condo apartments that people will rent out exclusively for this vacation rental service.
Getting Around Doha
There is a public bus system in Doha, but it’s best to just take a taxi or Uber to the tennis tournament. That’s the easiest way to get around the city and from your hotel to the venue.
How to Make Your Qatar Open Experience Great
The Khalifa International Tennis and Squash Complex is a large facility with expansive spaces to walk around. There is a VIP tent you can have access to by paying extra. You can also eat at the many food court areas around the complex.
With 24 courts on the property, you’ll also be able to catch a ton of tennis including some of the biggest tennis stars in the world.
When to Arrive at the Tournament
Make sure you arrive early enough to be on time for the matches. The matches typically begin at 2:00 p.m. Traffic in Doha during peak hours can get a little intense, so it’s better to allow plenty of time to arrive at the complex.
What to Bring with You
Since you’ll be outside for the matches at the main stadium, you may want to wear sunscreen and a hat. The weather there will be spring-like with an average temperature of 73 degrees Fahrenheit during January and February. Bringing a light sweater or jacket might also be a good idea.
What to Expect Inside
The design and architecture of the Khalifa International Tennis and Squash Complex is like no other in the world. It’s interesting and modern, with many people walking around to admire the venue in a world-class setting.
You’ll find plenty of food, drink, and shopping options that make for a great break from the tennis matches.
How to Watch the Qatar Open Tournament On TV
In the US, you can watch the action of the Qatar Open on the Tennis Channel. They also have an app that you can download and use to stream the event if you don’t have cable.