In our last edition of pro tennis news, we talked about the Western & Southern Open, Canadian Open, & More. This time we get to enjoy the 2021 US Open.
If you weren’t able to keep up with everything going on, we’ve got your back. Below are the tournament news/results, top headlines, and spotlight story from the last few weeks!
ATP & WTA Tournament News and Results: 2021 US Open
A spectacular 2021 US Open, some exciting smaller tournaments, and much more.
US Open (ATP Grand Slam)
Singles: (2) Daniil Medvedev defeated (1) Novak Djokovic 6-4, 6-4, 6-4 to win the 2021 US Open.
Story: In his third attempt at a Grand Slam victory, two against Novak Djokovic, Daniil Medvedev would finally claim a spot in history. In one of the best tournament runs in recent history, Medvedev would defeat Richard Gasquet, Dominik Koepfer, Pablo Andujar, (24) Dan Evans, Botic van de Zandschulp, (12) Felix Auger-Aliassime, and finally Djokovic to claim the trophy. This certainly isn’t the only Grand Slam Medvedev will win, but the 2021 US Open will always hold a special place in his heart.
- Read more about Medvedev’s 2021 US Open victory here.
- Watch Highlights: Daniil Medvedev vs Novak Djokovic Highlights | 2021 US Open FInal
Doubles: (4) Joe Salisbury and Rajeev Ram defeated (7) Jamie Murray and Bruno Soares 3-6, 6-2, 6-2 to win the 2021 US Open.
US Open (WTA Grand Slam)
Singles: Emma Raducanu defeated Leylah Fernandez 6-4, 6-3 to win her maiden Grand Slam title.
Story: In a spectacular run that started in the qualifiers, Great Britain’s Emma Raducanu would win her first of likely many Grand Slam titles. A couple of her biggest wins would come against (11) Belinda Bencic, (17) Maria Sakkari, and Leylah Fernandez in the finals. Welcome to America Emma and congrats on the biggest win of your career.
- Read more about Raducanu’s 2021 US Open victory here.
- Watch Highlights: Emma Raducanu vs Leylah Fernandez Highlights | 2021 US Open Final
Doubles: (14) Sam Stosur and Shuai Zhang defeated (11) Catherine McNally and Coco Gauff 6-3, 3-6, 6-3 in the championship.
- Winston-Salem Open (ATP 250)
- Ilya Ivashka defeated Mikael Ymer 6-0, 6-2 in singles.
- Marcelo Arevalo and Matwe Middelkoop defeated Ivan Dodig and Austin Krajicek 6-7 (5-7), 7-5, 10-6 in doubles.
- Tennis In The Land (WTA 250)
- (2) Anett Kontaveit defeated Irina-Camelia Begu 7-6 (7-5), 6-4 in singles.
- (1) Shuko Aoyama and Ena Shibahara defeated Christina McHale and Sania Mirza 7-5, 6-3 in doubles.
- Chicago Women’s Open (WTA 250)
- (1) Elina Svitolina defeated (9) Alize Cornet 7-5, 6-4 in singles.
- (3) Nadiia Kichenok and Raluca Olaru defeated (4) Lyudmyla Kichenok and Makoto Ninomiya 7-6 (8-6), 5-7, 10-8 in doubles.
- Liqui Moly Open (WTA 125)
- (3) Mayar Sherif defeated (4) Martina Trevisan 6-3, 6-2 in singles.
- (4) Ekaterine Gorgodze and Irina Bara defeated (3) Katarzyna Piter and Mayar Sherif 6-3, 2-6, 10-7 in doubles.
Following one of the best tournaments of the year, the US Open, both tours will play in some 250-level tournaments, and the Laver Cup will be played as well.
Here is a list of the upcoming pro tennis tournaments. If you’d like to read more about these tournaments, click on the links below.
- Astana Open (ATP 250)
- Moselle Open (ATP 250)
- Laver Cup
- Zavarovalnica Sava Portoroz (WTA 250)
- Luxembourg Open (WTA 250)
- Ostrava Open (WTA 250)
- Columbus Open (WTA 125)
Top 10 News Stories Around the Pro Tennis Tour
Here are our top 10 biggest stories from around the tennis world over the past two weeks.
- Patrick Mouratoglou, Serena Williams’ coach, opened up recently about Williams’ hamstring injury.
- The US Open tried a new idea this year, offering “quiet rooms” for players who were struggling.
- After many injuries, it has become evident that the old guard of tennis is slowly falling and we are not ready for it.
- The Tennis Channel has recently expanded its operations, introducing a 24/7 channel in India.
- After his tantrum at the 2020/2021 Tokyo Olympics, many are wondering if Djokovic’s temper has improved since his 2020 US Open disqualification.
- The Black Tennis Hall of Fame recently inducted its newest members, and they certainly add to the prestige of the award.
- One of tennis’ pettiest losers caused a scene after losing at the 2021 US Open.
- The US Open will be offering an NFT collection for the first time this year.
- The Queen would congratulate Emma Raducanu on her 2021 US Open victory, making the maiden Slam winner’s run that much more memorable.
- The “Original 9” were honored for their induction into the International Tennis Hall of Fame.
Spotlight Story: Botic van de Zandschulp’s Magical 2021 US Open Run
Ranked at 117th on the ATP Tour coming into the 2021 US Open, Botic van de Zandschulp would need to qualify to make the main draw.
But, that wouldn’t phase the Dutchman who would win all three of his qualifying matches to claim a spot in the tournament.
From there he wouldn’t look back, picking up four wins, including wins against (8) Casper Ruud and (11) Diego Schwartzmann before losing in the quarterfinals to (2) Daniil Medvedev.
After his magical run, the 2021 US Open will certainly live forever in van de Zandschulp’s heart.
Read more on Tennis.com.