In our last edition of pro tennis news, we talked about the 2021 Indian Wells Masters and more. This time we get to enjoy the 2021 Paris Masters, Courmayeur Ladies Open, & more.
If you weren’t able to keep up with everything going on, we’ve got your back. Below are the tournament news/results, top headlines, and spotlight story from the last few weeks!
ATP & WTA Tournament News and Results: Paris Masters, Courmayeur Ladies Open, & More
Novak Djokovic and Daniil Medvedev would play an instant classic, Donna Vekic would pick up a big win, and much more.
Paris Masters (ATP 1000)
Singles: (1) Novak Djokovic defeated (2) Daniil Medvedev 4-6, 6-3, 6-3 to win the 2021 Paris Masters Championships.
Story: One of the most exciting events of the year would culminate in an epic match between the top two players in the world. Despite Medvedev also playing an impressive tournament, Djokovic would defeat Marton Fucsovics, (15) Gael Monfils, Taylor Fritz, and (7) Hubert Hurkacz to reach the final. It certainly wasn’t a very surprising victory, but it once again cements Djokovic’s status at the top of the game for the time being.
- Read more about Djokovic’s 2021 Paris Masters victory here.
- Watch Highlights: Novak Djokovic vs Daniil Medvedev For The Title | Paris Masters 2021 Final Highlights
Doubles: Michael Venus and Tim Putz defeated (3) Pierre-Hugues Herbert and Nicolas Mahut 6-3, 6-7 (4-7), 11-9 to win the doubles championship.
Courmayeur Ladies Open (WTA 250)
Singles: Donna Vekic defeated (5) Clara Tauson 7-6 (7-3), 6-2 to win the singles championship at the first edition of the Courmayeur Ladies Open.
Story: Donna Vekic would reign supreme at the maiden Courmayeur Ladies Open in a very solid draw. Among other victories, she would defeat (7) Jasmine Paolini in the semifinals and then (5) Tauson in the finals to claim the trophy. Although it wasn’t a completely star-studded tournament, Vekic wouldn’t drop a single set and is playing very well.
- Read more about Vekic’s 2021 Courmayeur Ladies Open victory here.
- Watch Highlights: Donna Vekic vs. Clara Tauson | 2021 Courmayeur Final | WTA Match Highlights
Doubles: Zheng Saisai and Wang Xiyu defeated (3) Eri Hozumi and Zhang Shuai 6-4, 3-6, 10-5 to win the doubles championship.
- Erste Bank Open (ATP 500)
- (2) Alexander Zverev defeated Frances Tiafoe 7-5, 6-4 in singles.
- (4) Juan Sebastian Cabal and Robert Farah defeated (2) Rajeev Ram and Joe Salisbury 6-4, 6-2 in doubles.
- St. Petersburg Open (ATP 250)
- Marin Cilic defeated (5) Taylor Fritz 7-6 (7-3), 4-6, 6-4 in singles.
- (1) Jamie Murray and Bruno Soares defeated (4) Andrey Golubev and Hugo Nys 6-3, 6-4 in doubles.
- Transylvania Open (WTA 250)
- (2) Anett Kontaveit defeated (1) Simona Halep 6-2, 6-3 in singles.
- Irina Bara and Ekaterine Gorgodze defeated (2) Aleksandra Krunic and Lesley Kerkhove 4-6, 6-1, 11-9 in doubles.
- Dow Tennis Classic (WTA 125)
- (1) Madison Brengle defeated Robin Anderson 6-2, 6-4 in singles.
- (2) Harriet Dart and Asia Muhammad defeated (3) Peangtarn Plipuech and Aldila Sutjiadi 6-3, 2-6, 10-7 in doubles.
- Argentina Open (WTA 125)
- (3) Anna Bondar defeated (7) Diane Parry 6-3, 6-3 in singles.
- (1) Irina Bara and Ekaterine Gorgodze defeated Maria Carle and Despina Papamichail 5-7, 7-5, 10-4 in doubles.
Following some top-tier tournaments, both tours will play several more amazing tournaments.
Here is a list of the upcoming pro tennis tournaments. If you’d like to read more about these tournaments, click on the links below.
- Stockholm Open (ATP 250)
- Next Gen ATP Finals (ATP Event)
- Nitto ATP Finals (ATP Event)
- Linz Open (WTA 250)
- Akron WTA Finals (WTA Event)
- Montevideo Open (WTA 125)
Top 10 News Stories Around the Pro Tennis Tour
Here are our top 10 biggest stories from around the tennis world over the past two weeks.
- Casper Ruud has had an incredible 2021 season, picking up his 50th win of the season in Vienna.
- Jessica Pegula, star WTA player, recently got married to her longtime partner.
- A very wholesome tennis moment included Rafael Nadal hitting with a 97-year-old tennis player.
- A rally above 3,000 meters? Two WTA stars took tennis to new heights recently.
- Stefanos Tsitsipas said that he needs to become more selfish to take the next step and win a Grand Slam.
- Simona Halep made a strong prediction recently, saying that Raducanu will become one of the best players in the world.
- Hugo Gaston won a spectacular 17 straight points to win a match at the 2021 Paris Masters.
- Casper Ruud made Norwegian history recently and the country couldn’t be more proud.
- Naomi Osaka made a big announcement about her tennis career that has many fans excited.
- The Billie Jean King Cup would have an exciting finish, with the Russians defeating the Swiss.
Spotlight Story: Chinese Tennis Player Accuses Former Government Leader of Sexual Assault
Former WTA #1 doubles player Peng Shuai has accused a senior Chinese government official of sexual assault.
In a social media post on November 2, she described an assault that began an on-and-off consensual relationship with Zhang Gaoli.
Her post was immediately censored by the Chinese government, and she was labeled as not trustworthy.
Although there may never be justice for Shuai in China, she certainly is receiving a lot of support in the United States.
“I know that for someone of your eminence, Vice Premier Zhang Gaoli, you’ve said that you’re not afraid,” Ms. Peng wrote in her post, “but even if it’s just me, like an egg hitting a rock, or a moth to the flame, courting self-destruction, I’ll tell the truth about you.”
Read more in the New York Times.