In our last edition of pro tennis news, we talked about the 2021 US Open. This time we get to enjoy the 2021 Laver Cup.
If you weren’t able to keep up with everything going on, we’ve got your back. Below are the tournament news/results, top headlines, and spotlight story from the last few weeks!
ATP & WTA Tournament News and Results: Laver Cup, Luxembourg Open, & More
The Laver Cup would continue to be an exciting tournament, the Luxembourg Open wouldn’t disappoint, and much more.
Day 1: Casper Ruud defeated Reilly Opelka 6-3, 7-6 (7-4). | Matteo Berrettini defeated Felix Auger-Aliassime 6-7 (3-7), 7-5, 10-8. | Andrey Rublev defeated Diego Schwartzman 4-6, 6-3, 11-9. | John Isner and Denis Shapovalov defeated Alexander Zverev and Matteo Berrettini 4-6, 7-6 (7-2), 10-1.
Day 2: Stefanos Tsitsipas defeated Nick Kyrgios 6-3, 6-4. | Alexander Zverev defeated John Isner 7-6 (7-5), 6-7 (6-8), 10-5. | Daniil Medvedev defeated Denis Shapovalov 6-4, 6-0. | Andrey Rublev and Stefanos Tsitsipas defeated John Isner and Nick Kyrgios 6-7 (8-10), 6-3, 10-4.
Day 3: Andrey Rublev and Alexander Zverev defeated Reilly Opelka and Denis Shapovalov 6-2, 6-7 (4-7), 10-3.
Story: Like in years past, Team Europe would have their way with Team World at the Laver Cup. But, 2021 would come with a surprise visit from Roger Federer and a possible retirement announcement from Nick Kyrgios. Although it wasn’t the most competitive tournament, the Laver Cup continues to prove to be an entertaining one.
Luxembourg Open (WTA 250)
Singles: Clara Tauson defeated (3) Jelena Ostapenko 6-3, 4-6, 6-4 to win the championship.
Story: To win her second title of the year, an 18-year-old Tauson would defeat Astra Sharma, (4) Ekaterina Alexandrova, Marie Bouzkova, (5) Marketa Vondrousova, and (3) Ostapenko. The Denmark native has certainly impressed the tennis world with her play in 2021 and is a name to watch as the season draws nearer to a close.
- Read more about Tauson’s 2021 Luxembourg Open victory here.
- Watch Highlights: Jelena Ostapenko vs. Clara Tauson | 2021 Luxembourg Final | WTA Match Highlights
Doubles: Alison van Uytvanck and Greet Minnen defeated Kimberley Zimmermann and Erin Routliffe 6-3, 6-3 to win.
- Astana Open (ATP 250)
- Soonwoo Kwon defeated James Duckworth 7-6 (8-6), 6-3 in singles.
- (1) Santiago Gonzalez and Andres Molteni defeated Jonathan Erlich and Andrei Vasilevski 6-1, 6-2 in doubles.
- Moselle Open (ATP 250)
- (1) Hubert Hurkacz defeated (2) Pablo Carreno Busta 7-6 (7-2), 6-3 in singles.
- Hubert Hurkacz and Jan Zielinski defeated Hugo Nys and Arthur Rinderknech 7-5, 6-3 in doubles.
- Zavarovalnica Sava Portoroz (WTA 250)
- Jasmine Paolini defeated (3) Alison Riske 7-6 (7-4), 6-2 in singles.
- Anhelina Kalinskaya and Tereza Mihalikova defeated Aleksandra Krunic and Lesley Kerkhove 4-6, 6-2, 12-10 in doubles.
- Ostrava Open (WTA 250)
- Anett Kontaveit defeated (4) Maria Sakkari 6-2, 7-5 in singles.
- (2) Sania Mirza and Zhang Shuai defeated (3) Kaitlyn Christian and Erin Routliffe 6-3, 6-2 in doubles.
- Columbus Open (WTA 125)
- (2) Nuria Parrizas-Diaz defeated (8) Wang Xiyu 7-6 (7-2), 6-3 in singles.
- Wang Xiyu and Zheng Saisai defeated Dalila Jakupovic and Nuria Parrizas-Diaz 6-1, 6-1 in doubles.
Following some solid tournaments, both tours will play a couple of exciting weeks of tennis.
Here is a list of the upcoming pro tennis tournaments. If you’d like to read more about these tournaments, click on the links below.
- San Diego Open (ATP 250)
- Sofia Open (ATP 250)
- Chicago Fall Tennis Classic (WTA 500)
- Astana Open (WTA 250)
Top 10 News Stories Around the Pro Tennis Tour
Here are our top 10 biggest stories from around the tennis world over the past two weeks.
- Ash Barty’s coach is claiming that a tactical blunder impacted the World No. 1’s US Open performance.
- Simona Halep got married recently and shared several series of photos of the wedding for tennis fans to enjoy.
- John McEnroe refused to back down from his comments on Emma Raducanu after her 2021 US Open victory.
- The Tennis Channel will start to cover Pro Pickleball on its networks.
- Feliciano Lopez has certainly showed a lot of endurance, so the ATP Tour decided to dedicate an entire article to it on his birthday.
- Rafael Nadal has said that he is determined to make a comeback following his injury layoff.
- Nick Kyrgios is unsure about his future in tennis after losing at the Laver Cup.
- Rafael Nadal and Pau Gasol are going to open a restaurant together in LA.
- Naomi Osaka believes she will return to tennis sooner rather than later.
- In a surprise appearance at the 2021 Laver Cup, Federer stated that legacy is everything.
Spotlight Story: Roger Federer is Targeting a 2022 Comeback
In a recent social media post, Roger Federer disclosed that he will face a lengthy return process following his recent surgery and the advice of his medical team.
But, it appears that everything is headed in the right direction and Federer is remaining positive about the future.
“I’m doing very well, the rehab is progressing step by step,” Federer said.
“The worst is behind me, I’m looking forward to everything that comes my way.”
Federer was only able to play five tournaments this year.
“When you come back after an injury, every day is a better day. So it’s an exciting time, I went through it last year, so it’s not a mental problem at all,” he explained.
“It is one of my goals that I really get into it again to come back and hopefully be able to play in places like the O2 arena in London,” Federer stated.
Read more on UbiTennis.