Before we get into this amazing recap, here’s a heads up that we’ll be taking a break for the off-season, but don’t worry, you’ll hear from us again in January for the Australian swing.
In our last edition of pro tennis news, we talked about the 2021 ATP & WTA Finals and more. This time we get to enjoy the 2021 Davis Cup & more.
If you weren’t able to keep up with everything going on, we’ve got your back. Below are the tournament news/results, top headlines, and spotlight story from the last few weeks!
ATP & WTA Tournament News and Results: 2021 Davis Cup
The Russian Tennis Federation would come up big at the 2021 Davis Cup to restore pride to their country.
2021 Davis Cup (International Tennis Event)
Result: The Russian Tennis Federation defeated Croatia 2-0 in the championship to win the 2021 Davis Cup.
Story: After a hard-fought tournament, the Russian team consisting of players like Andrey Rublev, Daniil Medvedev, and Aslan Karatsev would come out with a victory. This was the Federation’s first title since 2006, and one that they will certainly cherish.
- Read more about the Russian Tennis Federation’s 2021 Davis Cup victory here.
- Watch Highlights: Davis Cup by Rakuten Finals 2021 | Recap Final
Unfortunately, no other tour-level tournaments were played during this period.
Despite few significant upcoming tournaments, it’s never too early to get excited for the 2022 Australian Open.
Top 10 News Stories Around the Pro Tennis Tour
Here are our top 10 biggest stories from around the tennis world over the past two weeks.
- Ash Barty recently announced her engagement to her longtime partner.
- Is it Alexander Zverev’s time to shine after his second ATP Finals victory?
- The Australian Open believes Novak Djokovic won’t want to miss a chance at another Grand Slam.
- King Richard brings the Williams story to vivid life and is a must-watch movie.
- Sexual frustration was the reason given for a tennis star’s recent struggles.
- Jo-Wilfried Tsonga has requested a wildcard into the 2022 Australian Open as he aims to start his comeback.
- Tennis star Johanna Konta announced her retirement from tennis at the age of 30.
- Daniil Medvedev and Iga Swiatek have increased the popularity of Tecnifibre rackets following their recent success.
- Who do you think were the best newcomers in 2021? Do you think the analysts agree?
- Roger Federer or Dominic Thiem? Who has a better chance of a strong comeback in 2022?
Spotlight Story: The Orange County Breakers Win The 2021 WTT Title
In the final of the 2021 World TeamTennis season, the Orange County Breakers would hold off the Springfield Lasers to win 21-13.
Desirae Krawczyk, who won 3 Grand Slam mixed doubles titles in 2021, was one of the key players for the Breakers.
“Des was a little nervous, I think, in the mixed doubles,” league MVP Steve Johnson said. “But then, in the doubles, she played amazing. It’s definitely nerve-racking when you have a lot of friends and family in the crowd and you sit for an hour and a half. But she’s a stud and I couldn’t be happier for her.”
Many hope that next year, the league will be able to return to normal play, with the league being forced to play at one venue for the last two years.
Read more in The Desert Sun.