In this episode, Will talks with Joel Drucker who has covered tennis for over 30 years and had his work featured on HBO, CBS, The Tennis Channel, the New York Times, the Huffington Post, Forbes, the LA Times, and many more.
We discuss his recent article on Tennis.com, A Letter to ATP Doubles Players: Life in the After Bryan Brothers Era. In it, he has five great ideas on how pro players can help grow the game of doubles.
We also discuss how doubles strategy has evolved over the years. Joel shares some great stories, including his experience playing tennis with John McEnroe, Jimmy Connors, the Bryan brothers, and the Jensen brothers.
25 Winning Doubles Tactics Guaranteed to Help You Play Smarter
Ebook with 25 expert serve (7), return (5), net-play (5), baseline (4), & approach (4) tactics you can use in your next doubles match.
Interview Notes from this Podcast
*To help support The Tennis Tribe & provide more free content like this, we may earn a percentage of purchases through the links below. See our affiliate page for more info.
- Follow Joel on Twitter
- Joel’s article on Tennis.com: A Letter to ATP Doubles Players: Life in the After Bryan Brothers Era
- Podcast episode with Gaby Dabrowski
- Coach Edgar Giffenig & Bryan Brothers Conversation: How Doubles has Changed
- The Bryan Brothers RDC Doubles Drill
- Podcast episode with Eric Butorac
- Three – A Tennis Show about Federer, Nadal, & Djokovic
- Other people mentioned
- Bryan Brothers
- Joel took a helicopter with Luke & Murphy Jensen to a charity event during a tournament
- Daniel Nestor
- Leander Paes
- Jamie Murray
- Bjorn Borg
- Joel played a pro-am with John McEnroe against Jimmy Connors
- Caty McNally
- Guillermo Vilas
- Felicisimo Ampon was a 5-foot tall pro tennis player
- Lester Stoefen is the player you see on all your tennis trophies
- Favorite tennis book: A Terrible Splendor by Marshall Jon Fisher*
- Favorite tournament: Indian Wells
- Articles from Joel